Thursday 17 November 2016

Launceston's new (to me) museum


Launceston's Inveresk museum complex was new to me. I'd had contradictory recommendations, but decided to go and check it out for myself.

There's the old tram sheds and railway workshops, a functioning tram, a college of the arts, a university campus, a cafe or two, and last but not least, there's the Queen Victoria Museum.




It's not a bad little museum at all. It's got a good sprinkling of the usual dinosaurs and wonders of science stuff. But I particularly liked the fine collection of Tasmanian animals.




















There was a good display of old railway trains and other memorabilia too, with maps and a history of the Tasmanian railway system. Launceston had been the hub of said system, and in its heyday it had quite a respectable network.

No comments:

Post a Comment