Sunday 11 August 2019

Who do I think I are? (Skipsea investigations)

Alice Hill was one of my English great grandmothers. Growing up, there was a lot of mystery about my grandmother's origins. But other family members had in recent years tracked her origin down to the village of Skipsea, near the Yorkshire coast, and given me pointers to where to locate her gravestone. So I went there on my own fact-finding mission.


Initially I couldn't locate the cemetery, so where better to enquire than the local pub? This was a very good move, because not only were the regulars terrifically friendly and helpful, but they were able to show me some historical photographs of the very village square adjacent to which, I believe, great grandmother lived.






The photos were undated, but who knows, maybe my grandmother and/or great grandmother are actually in them.







No comments:

Post a Comment