Saturday 3 August 2019

Travelling North

Travelling North was a 1987 film, based on a 1979 play by David Williamson, about an elderly couple doing a life-changing final trip to northern Queensland.

It was apparently inspired by some rather lesser journeys, one by Williamson himself when he moved from Melboune to Sydney, and another by his in-laws, who moved all the way from Sydney to the NSW Central Coast!

Anyway, in much the same spirit, I did a small scale 'Travelling North' journey in England last month, when I drove all the way from the English Midlands to the North-East.

What made me feel that I was actually going somewhere though was the crossing of the Humber Bridge. It's an impressive bridge, and it wasn't there when I last lived in England. It probably marks very definitively a boundary for England's North. That's Yorkshire over the other side. There are nice little viewing areas and walkways for admiring it properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment