Sunday 14 October 2018

First flowering


I've been planting waratahs now and again for the last few years. It's a notoriously difficult precious little thing, our state floral emblem. It prefers to do its thing in the wild, and tends not to co-operate with any but the greenest-thumbed gardeners.

A few years ago I tried some of the genuine natural native ones. They tormented me for a few years, staying just alive enough to keep me hopeful, but eventually dying anyway of course. Then a couple of years ago I tried again with some hybrids. Braidwood Brilliants, they're called. Hybrids are reckoned to be hardier and easier than the real deal ones. And after a tense recent few months of drought and frequent waterings, one my little beauties has finally come good. Look at this flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment