Sunday 30 July 2017

Jakarta's moving again!

Since I was last there, Jakarta has introduced its TransJakarta busway system. It's quite an improvement on what was available previously.

It works like a Metro railway system, but with above-ground buses. They're comfortable, air conditioned ones, they run on dedicated lanes on major roads, with well-located stops where you tap on and off with your TransJakarta transport smart card. You don't get lost, and it all seems to work well.

Sydney talks often about introducing these. I think there's supposed to be one coming to the Northern Beaches one day. As ever though, we'll believe it when we see it.



I discovered one little quirk about the Jakarta system when I boarded my first bus. The front section of the bus is reserved for women only. Telepathy told me something wasn't quite right. Nobody said anything, but I soon shuffled awkwardly down to the back!

No comments:

Post a Comment