Saturday 22 July 2017

Dodging Obama


Indonesia had an even more famous visitor than me while I was there. Ex US President Barack Obama and his family turned up for a holiday.

He arrived in Bali on the same afternoon as me, and he stayed with me in Ubud. Actually not quite with me, but in another accommodation place nearby where they charge approximately 300 times as much. Not that my $40 per night place was uncomfortable. Anything but. See pictures here of my excellent little villa and the family who looked after me.







He'd been offered top level security for the duration of his visit, but fortunately had settled for a level somewhere below this, so they hadn't closed the airport for my arrival.

Anyway, the whole country felt a bit pleased and honoured, I think, that one of their favourite adopted sons had come back on a 'mudik'. That's the homecoming visit people make to their village of origin during the big post-Ramadan holiday. I felt a bit honoured too, though he never made the effort to seek me out.

He did visit many of the same Balinese tourist sites though, and the local police were kept on their toes, and maintained unusual levels of visible presence.

When I moved on to Jakarta for a few days, he was there too! Obama spent a few of his childhood years in Jakarta's Menteng suburb, a rather pleasant area full of embassies and parks. He has a half sister in Jakarta and was reportedly catching up with her and other relatives (as well as President Jokowi). I visited his old primary school, where there's a plaque and a statue of the young 'Barry'.

Indonesians are generally very happy to discuss politics and politicians. When I remarked on how sad it was that the Americans had replaced such a capable, articulate and sensible leader with a dangerous idiot, there were no dissenting voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment