Tuesday 6 September 2016

View from a bottle opener


The Shanghai World Financial Centre, aka the Bottle Opener, is the world's fourth tallest building, at 492m. I knew it had an observation deck, so off I went to enjoy the view.

At the time I wasn't actually sure which of Shanghai's top three was in fact the SWFC, and thought it was probably the tallest - the wobbly looking screwdriver/egg whisk one. But no, everyone seemed to be heading for the bottle opener one.


It turns out the Screwdriver  is in fact the world's second tallest building, at 632m (after Dubai's Burj Khalifa, 828m). It's properly called the Shanghai Tower, and isn't fully operational yet. I'm not sure if there's going to be an observation deck, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, I got to go up to the current world's highest observation deck, which is in the world's fourth tallest building (because the Burj's one is only half way up it).

In fact the Bottle Opener has three separate observation decks. The lowest one, at 423m, hardly seemed worth the bother, but I did the other two (439m & 474m), which are directly below and above the open hole. There are glass ceilings and floors and things!















The views are stunning indeed.






No comments:

Post a Comment