Wednesday 16 April 2014

Illuminating stroll through Ultimo

I heard there was an amazing piece of installation art on show for a few days, in a disused railway tunnel in Ultimo. I headed into town and checked it out. The most amazing thing about it was that neither I nor any of the other visitors there at the time seemed to have a clue what it was about or what message, if any, the artist was attempting to convey.

There were lots of old style sideboard cabinets and glass boxes on tables, with various odd things in them. As you walked around, lights and sounds might or might not come on. I'm very patient with my art. I give it every possible benefit of the doubt. But New York based Australian artist, Ian Burns, was stretching it to the limit with his 'Extended Stage'.

There again, the explanatory pamphlet probably knows what it's talking about. The exhibition's a piece of magic, and it intertwines unexpected phenomena with a wry mix of new media and nostalgia. It draws on the atmosphere and history of this overlooked site, and it creates moments of small spectacle around a rare opportunity for the viewer to explore an unusual space, in the end creating a spectacle of the process of investigation itself. He has a sense of the sublime, and he is preoccupied with exploring that revealing moment when we experience the beautiful and the
ridiculous at the same time. I'd obviously missed all this somehow. See http://newsroom.uts.edu.au/news/2014/04/artist-creates-illuminating-experience-old-tunnel


I spent a couple of hours exploring Ultimo a little further, and found there's lots more than this going on. There was the Hanging Gardens building, there was the ABC, and there was Ultimo TAFE. There was UTS (the University of Technology), with one of the candidates for ugliest building in Sydney (the original UTS tower building), and what may soon be the most interesting building in the country (the Frank Gehrey designed Business School building, called the Dr Chau Chak Wing building, and resembling a giant crumpled cardboard box treehouse thing). I've included a picture, stolen from the UTS website, of what it'll look like when it's finished.


There was the refurbished site of the old Carlton United brewery, with a sparkling new shopping centre, brave bold sculptures, and the completely-new-to-me Central Park (also seemingly called Chippendale Green). One of the Broadway buildings alongside Central Park - the Hanging Gardens building in fact - has a strange horizontal platform sticking out at the the top, with a bunch of mirror reflectors presumably doing something useful somewhere below. I must look this up. I just did. It's a 'cantilevered heliostat, directing light into the complex and becoming a digital artwork at night'. Wow! The Sydney Architecture Archive blog ( http://sydneyarchitecturearchive.wordpress.com/category/buildings/contemporary/uts-gehry/ ) tells me that there are in fact three buildings in this area that are Pritzker Prize winners.

I don't really understand my architecture much better than my art installations, but I often like it a lot more. I decided I rather like Ultimo.

I was going to tell you the story of how Ultimo got its name. Must look it up again. Here it is, lifted straight out of Wikipedia. It's a good story.
           'Ultimo' was originally the name of the estate of Dr John Harris, on 34 acres (140,000 m2) granted to him by Governor King in 1803. It was named for a clerical error in a legal case against Harris that had prevented him being court-martialled. His offence was listed as 'ultimo' (having occurred in the previous month) when it should have been cited as 'instant' (having occurred in the same month). Harris Street is named in his honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment