Wednesday 9 April 2014

Artarmon

I had my morning coffee in Artarmon today. It's a pleasant little suburb, with leafy green parks and bike tracks, several nice cafes, and an unusual collection of TV towers to look at. I guess the TV reception's pretty good around here.
It's clearly considered a desirable place to live. This 3-bedroom house just sold for about $1.5 million.
 

Getting back to those TV towers, only the Channel 7 / Channel 10 Hampden Rd one is actually within Artarmon proper, but they've got good views too of the nearby Channel 9 transmitter in Willoughby, and the ABC / SBS / TVS tower at Gore Hill. I guess the relatively high ground just north-west of Sydney's historical centre made the area the natural choice for this sort of infrastructure.
The suburb's unusual name derives from the Irish castle, Ardtermon, on the family estate of William Gore, who was a high military official in the early colonial government, and after whom Gore Hill was named.






Re that morning coffee, it tasted rather odd, and the whole experience was tainted a little by the smelly diesel fumes from the delivery trucks that kept pulling up alongside me while I was perched there on the footpath beside the Hampden Rd main drag.










 So a mixture of experiences, but I'll probably get back there one day to explore a little more. (And I'll try a different cafe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment