Friday 21 February 2014

British Birds


These are some of the backyard birds I grew up with in England. The Blackbird (above), the European Robin (left), and, just occasionally perhaps, a Redwing (bottom picture). The Redwing's a winter visitor to the country. It looks a lot like a Song Thrush, but has that red underwing.

Another winter visitor, apparently a much rarer one, is the Great Grey Shrike. Apparently only 50 of them visit the country every year. I don't think I've ever seen one, but I had a near brush with one during my visit last month!

In the lay-by on the Redditch Road at Hopwood as I passed by there was a big cluster of paparazzi, all with long lenses trained onto the field to the west. "Twitchers!" I said, and foolishly drove past. So no Great Grey Shrike for me. Here's an article devoted to its special beauty though: www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/nature_studies/id-never-seen-a-great-grey-shrike-before-and-i-couldnt-get-over-its-beauty-8994035.html   

Funny, that link's no longer working for me either. Here's another one: https://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=122072   Not as eulogistic though - but there are pictures, and there's a report of another sighting at Hopwood, Worcestershire!

No comments:

Post a Comment