Friday 7 February 2014

Up in the air over Berlin

I'm a sucker for tall buildings with good views over their cities. So I guess I was bound to find my way up the Berlin TV tower eventually. 

It's 368m tall, and the tallest structure in Germany, and was built by the then East German government in the 1960s, and was partly intended to be a symbol of East Germany's strength.

I just read an interesting piece in the Wikipedia entry, about how the reflection from the dome on a sunny day looks like a cross, an effect neither predicted nor desired by the planners. It was therefore known as 'The Pope's Revenge' (Citation needed!)

Anyway, I didn't see the reflection because it wasn't a sunny day, but made my way up from Alexanderplatz to the 207m level observation deck, and looked down on all those famous landmarks.


There was the Dom, Museuminsel, the Hauptbahnhof, Unter den Linden, Kurfuerstendamm, Charlottenburg, Tiergarten, Zoologischergarten, Brandenburger Tor, the Reichstag, and in the distance in the western sunset sky, a big long line of wind generators.

No comments:

Post a Comment