Saturday 6 September 2014

Extreme postcodes: 2770

Blackett is one of the many suburbs in the far west that I'd not heard of. What have I been missing out on?

Well, its claim to fame is that it has (by a small margin) the lowest house prices in Sydney. There are a lot of unknown suburbs out here with low (by Sydney standards) prices, but this one gets the prize. The median value is $325,000, according to domain.com:   http://www.domain.com.au/public/apm/suburbprofile/


Wandering the streets I noticed that despite their houses not being worth a lot, they like to keep them well fenced off from their neighbours. Can't imagine why. The local petrol station too looked rather fortress like, and the local shops are dingy and graffiti strewn.




I chose not to sample Blackett's cafe culture - not that there appeared to be any - but called in at the big Mount Druitt Westfield shopping centre a few km away. I've a feeling it's been renovated since I last went there, and it had a modern, clean and wholesome feel about it. The enormous acreage of outdoor car parks was very full on this weekday morning. I guess the relatively low land values out here mean they haven't yet felt the need to invest in multi-storey above or below ground car parks.

I just did a search on Westfield Mount Druitt, only to find that it seems to be famous for a massive brawl that took place there in 2011! See the Daily Telegraph's report:  http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/police-called-as-gangs-face-off/story-e6freuzi-1225999866185?nk=e5fd78fec7f9f2b84f98bf43d6c122d8



No comments:

Post a Comment