Thursday 7 August 2014

West Head tracks and treasures

I'm leading a bushwalk soon along a selection of the tracks and fire trails that lead out on either side of the West Head Road in the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. So I did a quick recce the other day, to remind me what was what and which tracks would best suit for a 25 km total walk and a mix of experiences.


I settled on the following itinerary: the Waratah Track, the Willunga Track, the Bairne Track, and the circuit walk formed by the West Head, Headland, and Resolute tracks. Between them they provide some nice long leg stretches, some great water views in all directions, the chance of wildlife sightings, and a good selection of aboriginal artworks. I stumbled on several examples of rock engravings that I'd been completely unaware of before. National Parks deliberately only signpost a few of the more accessible ones, but if you keep your eyes open and explore the many flat rocky areas you come to, there are lots more to be seen. There was a 'Red Hands Cave' too, close to the much touristed West Head. I'd been unaware of this one, but it was in fact one of the signposted attractions.

A frequent highlight for me of walks around here is the sighting of a snake or two. In particular a beautiful diamond python will often be stretched out and sunning itself across the fire trail. No such luck this time. Although it's been an unusually warm and sunny winter, it's still not quite warm enough to lure them out of their seasonal slumber. Won't be long now. And it won't be long before we can start looking for the Waratah flowers. There was lots of birdlife around, though no sea eagles soaring above on this occasion. But there was a very cocky brush turkey hanging around Red Hands Cave.

I think I've put together a good little day's outing for the bushwalkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment